School Health Reference Guide
The Region of Peel School Health Reference Guide is a supplementary resource to relevant Peel and Dufferin-Peel school board policies. Refer to school board policy first if you have questions or concerns.
Childhood Diseases and Illnesses
(Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome)
- Caused by a coronavirus.
- Symptoms include general body weakness and discomfort, muscle pain and fever, quickly followed by respiratory symptoms including cough and shortness of breath. Diarrhea may occur.
- Symptoms usually appear within 3 to 10 days after last contact with an infected person.
- Only people with symptoms are contagious and can spread the disease; only those who have been in "close contact" — having cared for, lived with, or had direct contact with respiratory discharges or body fluids of a person ill with SARS — are at risk of getting infected.
Instructions for Schools
- Needs to be reported to Peel Public Health.
- Call Peel Public Health at 905-799-7700 to report a case of SARS.
- Exclude child from school.
- Encourage thorough hand washing and respiratory etiquette.
- Remember to protect the confidentiality of the student by not disclosing a diagnosis to concerned parents and/or colleagues. If contact follow up of those exposed is required Peel Public Health will contact those who are at risk.
- The last reported case of SARS in the world was in May 2004.
For more information on communicable disease resources and programs,
call Peel Public Health at 905-799-7700.(In Caledon, call 905-584-2216.)