For Immediate Release
June 29, 2001
Waste Collection and Processing
Region of Peel
905-791-7800, Ext. 4541
Region Of Peel No Longer Collects Yard Waste In Plastic Bags
(Brampton) - Beginning July 3, Region of Peel residents should place their yard waste at the curb in open, reusable containers, such as cans or bushel baskets, or Kraft paper yard bags.
Yard waste in plastic bags will not be collected after June 29.
Acceptable yard waste materials are garden trimmings, grass clippings, leaves, branches, twigs and plants.
Please follow these guidelines when preparing yard waste for collection:
- Put yard waste in open, reusable containers, such as cans or bushel baskets, or Kraft paper yard waste bags.
- Please place the yard waste sticker on any cans used for yard waste.
- Securely tie brush in bundles to a maximum of 1.2 m (4 ft.) in length and 0.76 m (2.5 ft.) in diameter.
- Paper yard waste bags or containers of yard waste must not be heavier than 23 kg (50 lbs.).
- Branches must not be thicker than 10 cm (4 inches).
- Put yard waste and recycling boxes at the curb on the opposite side of the driveway from the garbage.
Items not accepted as yard waste include sod, soil, stumps and stones. Any of these items may be brought to the Britannia Public Waste and Recycling Depot at Britannia Road and Terry Fox Way in Mississauga, the Bolton Community Recycling Depot at 109 Industrial Rd. (off Regional Road 50) in Bolton, or the Caledon Public Waste and Recycling Depot at Regional Road 24 (Charleston Sideroad) and McLaren Road in Caledon.
Residents can take up to 100 kg of unacceptable yard waste items to these depots free-of-charge. For any material in excess of 100 kg, residents will be charged at the rate of $0.08 per kg.
Yard waste collected from the curb is transferred to a facility where it is processed into compost. The finished compost is later distributed to residents at the Region's Environment Days events, which are held each year in the spring and fall.
For more information, or to obtain yard waste stickers, residents can call the WASTELINE at 905-791-9499. Long distance residents in Caledon can call free-of-charge, 905-584-2216 and ask for the WASTELINE, or visit the Region's Web site at www.region.peel.on.caCommunication Services, 10 Peel Centre Dr., Brampton, ON L6T 4B9
Phone: 905-791-7800, Fax: 905-791-0595 , e-mail
| Home | News Releases | Corporate Overview | Regional Departments |
| Regional Council | Maps | Search |