Notice of Study Completion
Rehabilitation of The Gore Road, King Street to Patterson Sideroad
Schedule B Municipal Class Environmental Assessment
Town of Caledon
TThe Region of Peel has identified the need for the rehabilitation of 9.3 km of The Gore Road, between King Street and Patterson Sideroad, in the Town of Caledon, to address structural deficiencies identified through a Structural Assessment Study prepared by URS in 2004. The purpose of the Structural Assessment Study was to develop alternative approaches to road rehabilitation and to develop a recommended rehabilitation plan to implement throughout the project limits.
The Region of Peel has completed the EA for the above noted project in accordance with the Schedule B requirements of the Municipal Class Environmental Assessment (EA). The Municipality has evaluated a number of alternatives as part of the Class EA process. The results of this analysis have been summarized in a “Project File” report.
Implementation of the plan through detailed design and construction activities will include the following:
- Replacement of the gabion basket retaining wall north of Old Church Road;
- Adjust vertical profiles at five locations north of King Street to improve stopping sight distances;
- Add auxiliary left turn lanes at the intersection of Gore Road and King Street, with corresponding traffic signal upgrades;
- Rehabilitate the existing roadway by pulverizing and overlaying with asphalt. Full depth reconstruction of pavement will be required at select locations;
- Replace existing guide posts with steel-beam guide rails, and installation of new guide rail where required;
- Ditching improvements, where feasible and culvert replacement where necessary, and;
- Address identified slope stability issues, through re-grading of slopes (where feasible) or alternate slope stabilization techniques.
A copy of the Project File report has been placed on the public record at the Municipal office for a 30-day review period beginning on November 13, 2006. Subject to comments received as a result of this Notice, and the receipt of necessary approvals, the Region intends to proceed with the design and construction of this project.
For further information on this project or to submit comments, please contact:
Mr. Willy Lising P.Eng.
Region of Peel
11 Indell Lane
Brampton, ON, L6T 3Y3
Tel: 905-791-7800, ext. 7811
Mr. Jeff Boyd, P. Eng.
R.J. Burnside & Associates Limited
170 Steelwell Rd., Suite 200
Brampton, ON L6T 5T3
If concerns arise regarding this project, which cannot be resolved in discussions with the Region, a person or party may request that the Minister of the Environment make an order for the project to comply with Part II of the Environmental Assessment Act (“Part II Order”), which addresses individual environmental assessments. Requests may be submitted to the Minister at the address below until December 13, 2006. A copy of this letter must also be sent to R. J. Burnside & Associates Limited, 170 Steelwell Road, Suite 200, Brampton, ON, L6T 5T3.
Minister of the Environment
135 St. Clair Ave., 10th Floor
Toronto, ON M4V 1P5
Monday July 30 2007