Climate change is a global problem that has local solutions.
|Did you know...
More on Peel's Climate Change Strategic Plan
Climate change is any change in climate over time, whether due to natural changes or as a result of human activity, which affect the natural ecosystem. Together with our partners — and through proactive public policy in Brampton, Caledon and Mississauga — we're preparing a strategy to combat the long-term shift in Peel's climate conditions.
Mitigation - steps to help reverse the effects of climate change - and adaptation - steps to deal with what's already happening - will:
- Help set attainable goals.
- Determine benchmarks.
- Seek to develop targets to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
Our local focus
Our federal and provincial governments are taking steps to reverse the negative effects of climate change on a national and provincial scale.
Locally, the Region and its partners will influence policy by:
- Preparing a strategy with global focus but applicable to Peel.
- Evaluating existing climate change planning processes.
- Developing a set of measurable reduction targets.
- Outlining how we'll achieve reduction targets.
- Establishing a monitoring framework to start our recommended climate change initiatives.