Before an Emergency
Preparing Your Personal / Family Emergency Kit
Your Personal / Family Emergency Kit will help you cope with the emergency.
You should be prepared to take care of yourself and family members when an emergency occurs.
Your Personal / Family Emergency Kit should contain the items you'll need.
Items to include
Have enough supplies in your home to be self-sufficient for at least 72 hours.
Store these items in a waterproof container (but also be ready to transfer them to a gym bag or duffle bag if you suddenly need to leave your home):
More Personal / Family Emergency Kit item Info:
- View the Master Supply Checklist (2 pages, 352 KB)
- Read pages 11-14 of the Your Personal and Family Emergency Preparedness Guide (31 pages, 1.57 MB)
- bottled water (4 litres per person, per day)
- food that won't spoil (such as canned food)
First aid supplies / personal care
- a first aid kit
- toilet paper and other personal hygiene items
Tools and supplies
- a crank radio or a radio with batteries
- a flashlight and batteries (test your batteries beforehand)
- a whistle
- duct tape
Clothing and bedding
- blankets or sleeping bags
- passports, birth certificates and other papers of identification
- playing cards or other games
- pre-cut pieces of plastic for covering window openings
- your emergency contact information (including your out-of-town contact)
- extra car key(s) and cash
Also, have a list of key phone numbers for family members, insurance providers as well as your local utilities on hand should you need to call to report or find out about outages.