Living Snow Fences
A living snow fence is a barrier created by plants, shrubs and trees to reduce snow blown across roads.
Planting trees and shrubs is not only more attractive and more environmentally-friendly than building a wood fence, but also more convenient than putting up and taking down traditional snow fences.
Benefits of participating
When you take part in the Living Snow Fence program, everyone wins.
- Get free trees and shrubs!
- Get year-round beautification and the plants help screen your property from the road.
- Enhance your property.
- Work with you to pick the trees and shrubs that best suit your property.
- Customize a planting plan.
- Buy the trees and shrubs for you and do the planting work for free.
- Improve road safety as the living fence grows.
Qualifying for a living snow fence
You'll likely qualify for a living snow fence if:
- Your property fronts the west or north side of a Peel Regional Road.
- You have approximately 30 metres of set back from the right of way.
- You currently have a wooden snow fence(s) installed in the winter.
To learn more about the Living Snow Fence Program, call 905-791-7800 ext. 4409.
The Region of Peel partners with the following organizations to build living snow fences throughout Peel: