3-1-1 Service

About 3-1-1


What is 3-1-1?

  • The 3-1-1 telephone service is a partnership between the cities of Brampton and Mississauga, the Town of Caledon and the Region of Peel to provide Peel residents with simple access to municipal information
  • 3-1-1 offers a single window of direct access to local municipal government programs and services
  • 3-1-1 is free and available in your language

Whose services can I access by calling 3-1-1?

  • Residents can call 3-1-1* from anywhere in the cities of Brampton and Mississauga for services offered by:
    • Region of Peel
    • City of Brampton
    • City of Mississauga

* 3-1-1 is not yet available in Caledon. Town of Caledon staff and Council are reviewing the feasibility of this telephone service in their community.

Why should I use 3-1-1?

  • 3-1-1 means you don't need to know which government provides a particular service or need to sort through phone numbers to find the people you need to talk to

[ Top ]

How does 3-1-1 work?

  • 3-1-1 calls will be answered by representatives at the Region of Peel, and the cities of Brampton and Mississauga
  • Representatives will use an extensive database to respond to your inquiries about a number of local municipal government programs and services

What are some examples of 3-1-1 calls?

  • location and hours of libraries
  • registration for parks and recreation programs
  • complaints about parking bylaw infractions
  • queries on local events
  • requests to book health clinic appointments
  • queries on animal services
  • queries on building permits
  • requests for financial assistance
  • reports of missed garbage collection
  • queries on water bills
  • queries on property taxes

[ Top ]

How is 3-1-1 different from 2-1-1, 4-1-1 and 9-1-1?

  • 2-1-1 is for confidential information and referral to non-emergency community, health and social services in Peel
  • 3-1-1provides residents with direct access to local municipal government programs and services in Peel
  • 4-1-1is for directory assistance from the local telephone company
  • 9-1-1 is for life threatening emergencies or crimes

Will 3-1-1 work from pay phones or cell phones?

  • Yes

Can I still call the cities or Region using the 10-digit number?

  • Yes - and if you know the name or extension of the person you wish to speak to, please always use the 10-digit number

Why do we need two separate numbers - 2-1-1 and 3-1-1?

  • The Canadian Radio-Television Commission (CRTC) specifies the purposes of these numbers. Each number can only be used for the very specific purpose approved by the CRTC - since the two numbers provide different services, they must be used separately.

How can I learn more about 3-1-1?

  • For more information, please dial 311

[ Top ]

Revised: Friday May 12 2017

Home | Contact Us | Search
A-Z Topic List | Privacy & Terms of Use

Smaller Text Larger Text

A-Z List | Accessible Info | Careers | Contact Us

Images from Peel Region