The number of new residential units at the construction stage where concrete has been poured for the footing around the structure.
- Over the last five years, the number of housing starts recorded annually has fluctuated significantly in response to changing market conditions.
- In 2020, Peel’s annual housing starts were 19.8 per cent lower than in 2019 at 4,568 units.
- Housing starts in the Greater Toronto Area (GTA) and Toronto increased in 2020.
Variations in the annual level of housing starts in Peel reflect changing conditions in Ontario’s housing market.
In 2020, the total number of housing starts in Peel declined to 4,568 units from 5,699 starts recorded in 2019.
Housing Starts by segment
In 2020, Peel’s housing starts in the single segment of the market increased relative to 2019 while multiple starts declined.
Although year-over-year multiple starts declined in 2020, it remained the dominant source of total housing starts in Peel. In January – December 2020, the changes were as follows:
- Multiples: down by 26.2 per cent to 3,467 units; and
- Singles: up by 10.0 per cent to 1,101 units.
Changes in housing starts in Peel continue to show variation due to significant fluctuations in multiple starts.