News and Council Updates
Healthy Complete Communities in the news
How Ontario communities are making themselves more senior-friendly
TVO.org – January 30, 2019
Region of Peel Launches Healthy Complete Communities Program
Breakfast Television – December 28, 2018
Peel Region’s Medical Officer Health, Dr. Jessica Hopkins, visits Breakfast Television to discuss the need to plan healthier communities.
Complete Communities are Needed to Slow Climate Change and Protect Peel Residents from Impacts
Mississauga News – December 24, 2018
Christine Tu, Director of the Office of Climate Change and Energy Management and Louise Aubin, Acting Director of Health Protection on the environmental drivers for innovative community planning.
Future of Peel depends on walkable, complete, connected communities
Caledon Enterprise - December 20, 2018
Census data suggests that our population of nearly 1.5 million will continue to grow by an estimated 22,000 new people each year. It’s a great opportunity to plan our communities today in ways that will support health, mobility and sustainability for decades to come.
Where you live impacts how you move and eat, says Peel's medical officer of health
Mississauga News - November 26, 2018
Reversing negative trends in Peel is simple: people need to move more and eat healthier. In reality, however, physical activity and healthy eating have largely been "engineered" out of our daily lives. Medical Officer of Health, Jessica Hopkins, explains.
Mortgage Broker News - November 18, 2018
Reimagining suburbs is one thing, but Peel Region is actively redesigning the sprawl west of Toronto by adhering to 21st century urban planning principles.
For news coverage on our work about Healthy Complete Communities, join our email list today.
Regional Council supports the importance of creating healthy complete communities.
Regional Council Reports
- Peel 2041 Regional Official Plan Review: ROPA 27 Adoption - Health and the Built Environment - 2017
- Update on Creating Healthy Built Environments in Peel - 2015
- Health and the Built Environment - Regional Official Plan Review Discussion Paper (2013)
- Built Environment and Health Initiatives Update - 2011
- Health Assessment Tool Initiative to Provide Quantifiable Comment on Neighbourhood Development Proposal - 2008
- State of the Region's Health - Focus on Overweight, Obesity and Related Health Consequences in Adults - 2005
Our local municipalities are also in support of planning and developing healthy complete communities.
Each municipality has adopted their own resolutions to look at health impacts through development and planning applications.