Public Meeting for the purpose of obtaining input from the public on a proposed by-law to change the composition of Regional Council as it relates to the appointment and term of office of the Regional Chair
On Thursday, November 18, 2021, the Council of The Regional Municipality of Peel will hold a public meeting pursuant to section 219(1) of the Municipal Act, 2001, as amended, for the purpose of obtaining input from the public to consider the matter of its intention to pass a by-law to change the composition of Regional Council as it relates to the appointment and term of office of the Regional Chair. The proposed by-law would require:
- that should any future Chair of the Regional Council be appointed from amongst the elected Regional Councillors, that appointee:
- be required to continue to sit as, and to fulfill the office of, a member for the lower tier municipal ward to which that appointee was elected; and
- be appointed to serve for a two-year term and until his or her successor is appointed, provided that council may re-appoint the same member or appoint a different member as Chair for the next ensuing two-year term, and provided further that the term shall not extend beyond the term of council;
- that in the event that a member of Council has been appointed as Chair, two Vice-Chairs of Regional Council also be appointed from amongst the remaining Regional Councillors, and that such Vice-Chairs shall:
- represent two different lower tier municipalities other than the municipality represented by the appointee as Chair and shall continue to sit as members for the lower tier municipal wards to which the appointees as Vice-Chairs have been elected;
- have the role of assisting the Chair and acting from time to time in the place of the Chair at the request of the Chair and/or when the Chair is absent or refuses to act or the office of the Chair is vacant; and
- be appointed for a two-year term and until their successors are appointed, provided that Council may re-appoint the same member or members or appoint different members as Vice-Chairs for the next ensuing two-year period, subject to the requirements of this provision, and provided further that the term shall not extend beyond the term of council.
Due to the efforts to contain the spread of COVID-19, the meeting will be live-streamed on https://www.peelregion.ca from the Region of Peel, Council Chamber, 5th Floor, 10 Peel Centre Drive, Suite A, Brampton. Please email the Office of the Regional Clerk at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (905) 791-7800, ext. 4465 for further instructions.
If you wish to make written or verbal submissions at the public meeting, please email the Office of the Regional Clerk at email@example.com or call (905) 791-7800, ext. 4465.
Date: Thursday, November 18, 2021
Time: 9:00 a.m.
Location: Region of Peel Administrative Headquarters
10 Peel Centre Dr., Suite A, 5th Floor
Brampton, ON L6T 4B9
A copy of the proposed by-law will be available on November 12, 2021 and can be obtained by contacting the Office of the Regional Clerk or from the Council Agenda page.
Comments may be submitted in writing addressed to the Regional Clerk at the Clerk’s Division, 10 Peel Centre Drive, Suite A, 5th floor, Brampton, ON L6T 4B9 or email the Office of the Regional Clerk.
Further information may be obtained by contacting the Office of the Regional Clerk at (905) 791-7800 ext. 4465 or on the Region of Peel website at www.peelregion.ca.
Dated this 4th day of November, 2021
Information will be collected in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. With the exception of personal information, all comments will become part of the public record.