Policies in the Regional Official Plan related to the larger theme of climate change are being reviewed.
Peel 2051 Draft MCR ROPA
On September 23, 2021 Regional Council endorsed proceeding to statutory open houses and public meeting. Please visit Upcoming Consultations for more info. The latest draft policies and mapping are available on the Draft policies and mapping page. Planning & Growth Management Committee will be meeting October 7, 2021. Please visit the Reading Room for access to materials.
Peel 2051 Community Survey
We want to hear from you. Complete this short survey to share your input on the future of Peel Region.
Email Regional Planning and Growth Management to join our notification list, stay up to date on the latest updates, upcoming meetings, and submit comments.
Hotter drier summers, wetter winters and more extreme weather events are predicted to occur more frequently in Peel.
These changes are expected to impact:
- built environment
- human health
- local economy
As Peel's population grows, more people will be exposed to risks and vulnerabilities caused by our changing climate.
Climate Change discussion paper:
- Provides a background on the impacts, risks and susceptibilities caused by our changing climate.
- Outlines the legislation, proposed policy options and suggested land-use planning tools under consideration for our updated Official Plan. These options and tools can help the Region adapt to and lessen the effects of climate change to create a strong, vibrant, resilient community.
Peel 2051 proposed policies would:
- put provincial policy into effect to reduce emissions in the Greater Golden Horseshoe (GGH) and prepare for the impacts of a changing climate;
- incorporate climate change policies in key areas throughout the Regional Official Plan; and
- support the Region and local municipalities in developing healthy and sustainable communities.
Climate Change Related Council & Committee Reports and Presentation
Updates on items related to the Climate Change Focus Area have been provided to Regional Council and the Planning and Growth Management Committee (PGMC) throughout 2021. These reports and presentations are provided for reference below:
- Climate Change discussion paper (PDF)
- Climate Change fact sheet (PDF)
- Climate Change Master Plan (PDF)
- Climate Trends and Future Projections in the Region of Peel
- Natural Systems Vulnerability to Climate in Peel Region
- Water Infrastructure Systems Vulnerability to Climate Change in the Region of Peel
- Climate Change Effects on Agricultural Production in the Region of Peel
- 2016 Peel Community Greenhouse Gas Inventory Update
For more information, email Regional Planning or call (905) 791-7800 ext. 1173.
- Age-friendly planning
- Aggregates resources and excess soil
- Agriculture and rural systems
- Climate change
- Greenlands system
- Growth management
- Health and the built environment
- Major transit station areas
- Other focus areas (including cultural heritage, Indigenous engagement, and waste management, and rural settlement boundary refinement)
- Provincial Greenbelt plans (including Oak Ridges Moraine Conservation Plan and Niagara Escarpment Plan)
- Settlement area boundary expansion
- Wildland fires
- Water resources