Policies in the Regional Official Plan related to the larger theme of climate change are being reviewed.
Notice of Decision – Approval of the Region of Peel Official Plan
On November 4, 2022, the Minister of Municipal Affairs and Housing issued a decision to approve the new Region of Peel Official Plan (RPOP) with 44 modifications. Download the Notice of Decision. Learn more about the Notice of Decision.
The new RPOP, as modified, came into effect as of November 4, 2022, replacing the previous Region of Peel Official Plan. The Minister's decision is final and there are no appeals.
A new version of the RPOP is being prepared to include the Minister's modifications and will be posted to the Download the Peel Regional Official Plan page.
Regional Council Adoption of the new Region of Peel Official Plan
Regional Council passed By-law 20-2022 to adopt the new RPOP on April 28, 2022. Download the Council Adopted RPOP on our Draft policies and mapping page.
The Council Adopted RPOP was submitted to the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing for approval.
Email Regional Planning and Growth Management to join our notification list, and stay up to date on the new RPOP.
Hotter drier summers, wetter winters and more extreme weather events are predicted to occur more frequently in Peel.
These changes are expected to impact:
- built environment
- human health
- local economy
As Peel's population grows, more people will be exposed to risks and vulnerabilities caused by our changing climate.
Climate Change discussion paper:
- Provides a background on the impacts, risks and susceptibilities caused by our changing climate.
- Outlines the legislation, proposed policy options and suggested land-use planning tools for our new Official Plan. These options and tools can help the Region adapt to and lessen the effects of climate change to create a strong, vibrant, resilient community.
The new Region of Peel Official Plan:
- put provincial policy into effect to reduce emissions in the Greater Golden Horseshoe (GGH) and prepare for the impacts of a changing climate;
- incorporate climate change policies in key areas throughout the Regional Official Plan; and
- support the Region and local municipalities in developing healthy and sustainable communities.
Climate Change Related Council & Committee Reports and Presentation
Updates on items related to the Climate Change focus area have been provided to Regional Council and the Planning and Growth Management Committee (PGMC) throughout 2021. These reports and presentations are provided for reference below:
- Climate Change discussion paper (PDF)
- Climate Change fact sheet (PDF)
- Climate Change Master Plan (PDF)
- Climate Trends and Future Projections in the Region of Peel
- Natural Systems Vulnerability to Climate in Peel Region
- Water Infrastructure Systems Vulnerability to Climate Change in the Region of Peel
- Climate Change Effects on Agricultural Production in the Region of Peel
- 2016 Peel Community Greenhouse Gas Inventory Update
For more information, email Regional Planning or call (905) 791-7800 ext. 4350.
- Age-friendly planning
- Aggregates resources and excess soil
- Agriculture and rural systems
- Climate change
- Greenlands system
- Growth management
- Health and the built environment
- Major transit station areas
- Other focus areas (including cultural heritage, Indigenous engagement, and waste management, and rural settlement boundary refinement)
- Provincial Greenbelt plans (including Oak Ridges Moraine Conservation Plan and Niagara Escarpment Plan)
- Settlement area boundary expansion
- Wildland fires
- Water resources