Other focus areas
Waste management, Cultural heritage & Indigenous engagement
Following our review of Provincial plans, legislation, policy direction and Regional strategies, we have identified other focus areas.
These other focus areas — waste management, cultural heritage and Indigenous engagement — will require changes to Regional Official Plan policies to stay consistent and conform to Provincial plans and legislation.
Waste management policies are in place to provide cost-effective, environmentally responsible waste management services to Peel’s residents, eligible small businesses and municipal and institutional facilities.
Waste management policies in the Regional Official Plan will reflect regional strategies, provincial waste legislation and policies including the Waste Free Ontario Act and Resource Recovery and Circular Economy Act.
Policy outcomes will include:
- Providing cost-effective, efficient, environmentally responsible waste management services.
- Conforming to the Roadmap to a Circular Economy – the Region’s long-term waste management strategy – and provincial direction to design and deliver waste management services that reduce the negative impacts of waste.
Cultural heritage resources and archaeological resources are non-renewable. They provide an important link to Peel’s history and culture.
Indigenous peoples have a unique relationship with the land and its resources. We will update The Official Plan to better recognize their heritage, treaty rights and unique relationship to Peel’s land and resources.
- Updating and adding various definitions related to cultural heritage policies, such as built heritage resources and areas of archaeological potential.
- Conserving and promoting cultural heritage and archaeological resources to support the wellbeing of all communities, including Indigenous communities.
- Improving connections in policy between Indigenous communities, cultural heritage and archaeological resources.
- Strengthening engagement and coordination policies.
Other focus areas supporting documents
Cultural Heritage & Indigenous Engagement Policy Backgrounder (forthcoming)
Cultural Heritage & Indigenous Engagement fact sheet
Waste management discussion paper
Waste Management fact sheet
- Age-friendly planning
- Aggregates resources and excess soil
- Agriculture and rural systems
- Climate change
- Greenlands system
- Growth management
- Health and the built environment
- Major transit station areas
- Other focus areas (including cultural heritage, Indigenous engagement and waste management)
- Provincial Greenbelt plans (including Oak Ridges Moraine Conservation Plan and Niagara Escarpment Plan)
- Settlement area boundary expansion
- Wildland fires
- Water resources