Settlement Area Boundary Expansion
The Peel 2051 process will identify locations for settlement area boundary expansions to accommodate employment and community (residential) growth.
We're updating the Regional Official Plan (ROP).
The current ROP includes policies and mapping that guide growth in Peel to the year 2031.
After accounting for intensification opportunities across Peel, there will be a need for new settlement boundary expansion lands to accommodate population and employment growth in the Town of Caledon.
Hemson Consulting has been retained to project manage the overall Settlement Area Boundary Expansion Study, however a number of technical studies will also be undertaken by consultants that specialize in each study area.
September 2021 update: See below under the Reports, Technical Studies and Other Documents tab for the latest updates.
The settlement area boundary expansion study:
- Will determine the appropriate location(s) for the additional community and employment lands in the Town of Caledon, based on the results of a number of technical studies.
- Will be consistent with the policy requirements of the Provincial Growth Plan, Provincial Greenbelt Plan, other applicable Provincial Plans, the ROP, and strategic priorities related to managing growth.
The key objectives of the settlement area boundary expansion study are to:
- Identify the location of future settlement area boundary expansions to accommodate community (residential) and employment growth to 2051 and beyond.
- Include policies in the Regional Official Plan to guide future land use planning.
- Facilitate broad consultation throughout the process, including but not limited to local municipal partners, stakeholders, community groups, Indigenous communities and the public.
The current Regional Official Plan is based on growth to the year 2031.
The Provincial Growth Plan allocates population and employment forecasts to the Region and requires that we undertake a municipal comprehensive review to plan for growth to 2051*.
A Settlement Area Boundary Expansion Study is one of the studies that must be conducted as part of the Region's Municipal Comprehensive Review.
*In August, 2020, the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing released the Amendment #1 and Land Needs Methodology to A Place to Grow – Growth Plan for the Greater Golden Horseshoe, 2019, which included population and employment forecasts to 2051. These changes are intended to provide municipalities with more flexibility to respond to demographic, employment, market demand, and housing affordability trends in the Greater Golden Horseshoe (GGH).
The study will be conducted in 4 phases with public consultation opportunities included in each phase:
Phase 1: Background
- Settlement area boundary expansion fact sheet
- Focus study area criteria (PDF) (Feb 2020)
- Focus study area report (PDF) (Feb 2020)
- Focus study area map (PDF) (Feb 2020)
Phase 2: Technical studies (Completed)
- Phase 2 Study Update and Summary of Technical Studies (PDF) (Jun 2020)
- Final Preliminary Agricultural Impact Assessment: Planscape (PDF) (Nov 2020)
- Agricultural Impact Assessment Addendum: Planscape (Aug 2021)
- Final Climate Change Study: Laura Taylor Designs (PDF) (Nov 2020)
- Final Cultural Heritage Assessment: ASI (PDF) (Nov 2020)
- Final Stage 1 Archaeologic Assessment: ASI (PDF) (Nov 2020)
- Final Employment and Commercial Study: Cushman & Wakefield (PDF) (Nov 2020)
- Employment and Commercial Study Addendum: Cushman & Wakefield (2021)
- Fiscal Impact Technical Study Update: Hemson Consulting (PDF) (Nov 2020)
- Final Health Assessment: SvN (PDF) (Nov 2020)
- Health Assessment Addendum: SvN (2021)
- Final Public Facilities: Monteith Brown Planning Consultants (PDF) (Nov 2020)
- Final Initial Transportation Assessment (Part 1): Paradigm Consulting Group (PDF) (Nov 2020)
- Transportation Assessment (Part 1) Addendum: Paradigm Consulting Group (2021)
- Final Preliminary Water and Wastewater Assessment (Part 1): Region of Peel Staff (PDF) (Apr 2020)
- Final Mineral Aggregate Resources Screening: Planscape (PDF) (Nov 2020)
Phase 3: Draft policies and mapping (Complete)
- Draft Conceptual SABE 2051 Boundary map (PDF) (Updated February 2021 only to reflect ROPA 30 LPAT Settlement and Approved ROPA 34)
- Rural Settlements Technical Memorandum: Hemson Consulting (PDF) (Dec 2020)
- Presentation from meeting on Rural Settlements with stakeholders requesting to expand Rural Settlement boundaries in the Greenbelt Plan Area (Feb 2020)
- Rural Settlements Technical Memorandum with recommendations: Hemson Consulting (Sep 2021)
- Planning Justification for Dec 2020 Draft Conceptual SABE Part 1: Hemson Consulting (Dec 2020)
- Planning Justification for Sept 2020 Draft SABE and Fiscal Impact Assessment Part 2: Hemson Consulting (Sep 2021)
- Draft Settlement Area Boundary Expansion Policies (Jun 2021)
- Water Wastewater Assessment: GM BluePlan Engineering (Jul 2021)
- Transportation Assessment: Paradigm Consulting Group (Sep 2021)
- Agricultural Impact Assessment: Planscape (Sep 2021)
- Draft recommended Settlement Area Boundary Expansion Map for public consultation: Region of Peel Staff (Sep 2021)
Phase 4: Final Official Plan Amendment (In Progress)
- Recommendation report
- Final mapping and policies
- Council adoption
The Initial Study Area (PDF) for the Settlement Area Boundary Expansion Study is the agricultural and rural area in in the Town of Caledon.
The Initial Study Area was refined from the entire agricultural and rural area in Caledon to a Focus Study Area based on a number of criteria.
Based on the results of the completed technical studies, a draft conceptual SABE 2051 boundary has been identified will continue to be refined through ongoing detailed analysis.
Following this detailed analysis, the recommended SABE with rationale and policies will be presented to Regional Council for adoption.
Fall 2021 Study Updates
October 7, 2021 Planning & Growth Management Committee (PGMC) Report
Peel 2051 Draft Settlement Area Boundary Expansion Update and Revised Mapping Report
- October 7, 2021 PGMC Report
- Appendix I – Hemson Planning Justification Report Part 2: Final Concept Map and Fiscal Impact Analysis – September 2021
- Appendix II – GM BluePlan Water and Wastewater Servicing Analysis – August 2021
- Appendix III – Paradigm Transportation Servicing Analysis – August 2021
- Appendix IV – Rural Settlement Technical Memorandum with Recommendations – August 2021
- Appendix V – Draft Recommended Settlement Area Boundary Expansion – September 2021
- Appendix VI - Draft SABE Map Identifying Key Revisions Since December 2020
Comment & Request Responses
Additional Technical Work
- Phase 2 Agricultural Impact Assessment Report: Planscape (Aug 2021)
- Phase 2 Screening of Mineral Aggregates Report: Planscape (Aug 2021)
- Addendums to previously completed Technical Studies to consider implications of ‘No-GTA West Corridor’
Summer 2021 Study Updates
June 17, 2021 Planning & Growth Management Committee
- Front-End Funding and Financing Options (Report)
- Appendix I - Front-End Financing Agreements and Developer Reimbursements and Corporate Policy
- Appendix II - Hemson Consulting Ltd. Memorandum I Front-End Financing Options
- Presentation (Oral)
- Scoped Subwatershed Study (Report)
- Appendix I - Diagram Illustrating New Systems Approach Integrating Watershed Planning and Land Use Planning
- Appendix II - Focus Study Area with Subwatersheds
- Appendix III - Focus Study Area with Scoped Subwatershed Study Environmental Constraints
- Peel 2041+ Official Plan Review and Municipal Comprehensive Review Draft Policies Update (Report)
- Appendix I - Peel 2041+ Focus Area Summary of Draft Policies
Winter 2021 Study Updates
February 18, 2021 Planning & Growth Management Committee
February 9, 2021 Consultations
A meeting on Rural Settlements with stakeholders requesting to expand Rural Settlement boundaries in the Greenbelt Plan Area.
2020 Study Updates
December 2020 Study Updates
- Summary of final technical studies and draft conceptual SABE with rationale
- Draft conceptual SABE 2051 boundary map – updated February 2021 only to reflect ROPA 30 LPAT Settlement and Approved ROPA 34
- Rural settlements technical memorandum
- Summary of SABE related consultations
- Final climate change study: Laura Taylor Designs
- Final cultural heritage assessment: ASI
- Final stage 1 archaeologic assessment: ASI
- Final employment and commercial study: Cushman and Wakefield
- Fiscal impact technical study update: Hemson
- Final health assessment: SvN
- Final public facilities: Monteith Brown
- Final initial Transportation assessment (Part 1): Paradigm
- Final preliminary Water and Wastewater assessment (Part 1): Region of Peel Staff
- Final mineral aggregate resources screening
June 2020 Study Updates
February 2020 Study Updates
- Settlement area boundary expansion fact sheet
- Focus study area criteria (PDF)
- Focus study area report (PDF)
- Focus study area map (PDF)
Environmental Screening Report and Scoped Subwatershed Study
The Region retained a consultant team led by Wood Environmental and Infrastructure Solutions to undertake an Environmental Screening and Scoped Subwatershed Study as part of the Settlement Area Boundary Expansion Study. Other consultants working on the Environmental Screening and Scoped Subwatershed Study include:
- Ecology and Natural Heritage: (1) North South Environmental, and (2) Dougan and Associates
- Fisheries and Aquatic Habitat: C. Portt and Associates
- Groundwater, Hydrogeology and Streamwater Morphology: (1) Matrix Solutions and (2) Bill Blackport and Associates
The Environmental Screening and Scoped Subwatershed Study will be conducted in two phases:
- Phase 1 – Environmental Screening conducts and documents an environmental screening evaluation for the initial study area
- Phase 2 – Scoped Subwatershed Study includes an inventory of the natural environment, assesses the impact of development and provides recommendations to ensure the natural environment is protected
The Scoped Subwatershed Study has three parts:
- Part A – Characterization
- Part B – Impact Assessment
- Part C – Implementation Plan
Environmental Screening and Scoped Subwatershed Study Documents by Study Phase
Phase 1 – Environmental Screening
- Draft Environmental Screening Report: Wood Environmental and Infrastructure Solutions (PDF) (May 2020)
Phase 2 – Scoped Subwatershed Study
Part A – Characterization
- Scoped Subwatershed Study, Part A – Existing Conditions and Characterization (Final Draft): Wood Environmental and Infrastructure Solutions (PDF) (August 2021)
Part B – Impact Assessment
- Scoped Subwatershed Study, Part B – Detailed Studies and Impact Assessment (Final Draft): Wood Environmental and Infrastructure Solutions (PDF) (August 2021)
Part C – Implementation Plan
- Scoped Subwatershed Study, Part C – Implementation Plan: Wood Environmental and Infrastructure Solutions (PDF) (August 2021)
As completed to date, the Part A, B and C reports are final drafts and feedback will continue to be received in 2021 prior to finalization of the comprehensive report in early-2022.
Note: Any documents in draft form can not be used to support private applications under the Planning Act. Applicants will be required to retain their own consultants that can use the draft information as a resource but must confirm the information through separate studies.
For more information, email Regional Planning or call 437-218-7724.
- Age-friendly planning
- Aggregates resources and excess soil
- Agriculture and rural systems
- Climate change
- Greenlands system
- Growth management
- Health and the built environment
- Major transit station areas
- Other focus areas (including cultural heritage, Indigenous engagement, and waste management, and rural settlement boundary refinement)
- Provincial Greenbelt plans (including Oak Ridges Moraine Conservation Plan and Niagara Escarpment Plan)
- Settlement area boundary expansion
- Wildland fires
- Water resources