Watermain installation, replacement and relocations
Mayfield Road from Airport Road to Martin Byrne Drive; McVean Drive from Mayfield Road to Countryside Drive. Town of Caledon and City of Brampton. Projects 11-4075, 14-1164 & 14-1165.
- We have finished the work. The project is under warranty until March 2024
- Project completion from April 2020 to August 14, 2020
What are we doing?
- Replacing and improving the aging watermain along Mayfield Road and McVean Drive. View area map (PDF).
- Replacing the water service pipe to your service box.
- To upgrade the water system capacity and reliability as part of the Region of Peel’s State of Good Repair program.
- We expect to start work on or about August 19, 2019, on Mayfield Road starting at Airport Road.
- The project is anticipated to be completed by April 2020. All work is under warranty for two years from the completion date.
- We will start restoring the road when all water system replacements and transfers are complete, and as weather permits.
Who you can call
|Region of Peel|
|Contact Person||Responsibilities||Telephone Number|
|Melvin Gonzalez||Project Manager||905-791-7800, ext. 5042|
|Marc Vaccari||Regional Inspector||905-791-7800, ext. 3246|
|Sam Rabito Construction Limited
Sam Rabito Construction will do the work, under contract to the Region of Peel
|Sam Rabito||Project Manager||905-642-5356|
|Corey Luciano||Project Coordinator||416-881-2425|
*Melvin Gonzalez is away returning September 5th. Sarah Lobo (extension 8266 is acting in his place until his return.)
- Our contractor’s normal working hours are from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. These hours are consistent with the local municipality’s bylaws. We understand this may cause some inconvenience, but a shorter working day would mean the project would take longer to complete.
Traffic and parking control
- We may need to reduce traffic to a single lane during construction. Traffic delays should be expected.
- If we have to reroute traffic, we will place signs giving directions.
- Due to construction activities, we may need to block your driveway for a short time. We will contact you before we do this to arrange for the best time and for alternate access, if needed. If your driveway is blocked, you may choose to park on a side street for a short time. If you need immediate access to your driveway, the contractor will have road plates available to quickly allow access in and out of your driveway.
- We will make sure businesses have access at all times.
- Please call the Project Manager if you have special needs related to access or business hours.
Irrigation or sprinkler systems
- Please tell the inspector if you have underground irrigation or a sprinkler system outside your property line.
- You may wish to move the sprinkler lines to inside your private property to avoid damage.
- If tree branches within the right-of-way interfere with construction, the contractor will have the trees pruned before equipment enters the drip line of the tree.
- If tree branches on private property interfere with construction, they will be pruned back to the nearest suitable trunk, crotch or branch.
- The contractor will ask you for permission before cutting any branches on private property. If you do not allow the contractor onto your property to trim the branches, the branches will be cut vertically at the property line.
Interrupting your water supply
- It is our goal to let you know 48 hours (2 days) in advance if we need to shut off your water. Occasionally, we may have to reduce this notice to 24 hours.
- For water interruption during service transfers, the contractor will notify you the day of the transfer as this will be a brief interruption. This will ensure proper notification for short duration works.
- If we have to shut off your water because of an emergency, we will do everything we can to fix the problem as quickly as possible.
- Your garbage, recycling and organics containers will continue to be picked up on your regularly scheduled day. It is the contractor’s responsibility to move your garbage, recycling and organics bins to a location where our collection vehicles can pick them up. Empty containers will be returned to their corresponding addresses. Please make sure your house number is clearly marked on each bin.
- You may feel slight vibrations from the construction work.
Replacing and taking care of your sod
- The contractor will take care of any sod we replace for 30 days.
- You can help the sod to stay healthy by watering it for one hour in the early morning, two or three times a week. This is especially important in hot or dry weather.
- We will replace your sod as soon as we can, but there may be a short delay.
- It is very common for the work area to settle a bit following construction. If you notice any settlement, please let the project manager or inspector know and we will ensure the contractor fixes it.
Repairing your driveway
- If we need to cut your driveway to replace the existing service valve or access the watermain, we will repair the asphalt in the disturbed area from edge to edge across the driveway. Unfortunately, the Region cannot completely replace your driveway.
- Several weeks before the driveway restoration work, we will send you an update with contact information for the contractor, in case you wish to have the remainder of your driveway (private side) paved at the same time.
- If you have any concerns, please call the Project Manager.
- We will repair your driveway as soon as we can, but there may be a short delay.
Repairing the road, curbs, and sidewalks
- We will start restoring the road and boulevard once all replacements and service transfers are complete and as weather permits.
- We will complete the restoration on a street-by-street basis.
- The Region of Peel will always let you know if there are any major changes to the plans.
- We will try to disturb you as little as possible.
- Please call the project manager or inspector if you have any concerns or special needs.