Highway 401 expansion project
Additional lanes in Mississauga and Milton will make travel times shorter
The purpose of Highway 401 Project is to widen and reconstruct parts of Highway 401 in the western Greater Toronto Area (GTA).
The Project, currently in the design phase, will add:
- 6 new lanes from the Credit River to Winston Churchill Boulevard, for a new total of 12 lanes.
- 4 new lanes from Winston Churchill Boulevard to the Highway 407 ETR/Highway 401 interchange, for new total of 10 lanes.
- 6 new lanes from Highway 407 ETR/ Highway 401 interchange to east of the James Snow Parkway, for a new total of 12 lanes.
- 4 new lanes from the James Snow Parkway to west of Regional Road 25, for new total of 10 lanes.
- Median High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) lanes.
- Support facilities and features including drainage, lighting, signage, an Advanced Traffic Management System and carpool lots.
Construction is expected to be completed by late 2022.
Peel Region is responsible for moving water and wastewater assets (such as pipes and valves) that could affect highway widening and new lane construction.
For more information visit Highway 401 Expansion Project.