Peel Region homepage
Peel Region

Create or make changes to a water billing account

You must complete and submit a form if you need to create, change, or add information to an existing water billing account.

On this page


You are eligible for this service if you have a Peel Region water billing account or are moving to Brampton, Caledon, or Mississauga and need to create a new account.

What you need

The information you need to provide depends on the circumstance. You will provide specific information about the account holder and the property on the form you submit.


Fees will be added to the water bill.

For specific fee information and additional fees and charges that can apply to both residential and business customers, visit service charges.

How to create or update a water account

How to create or update a water account depends on your situation. All situations require completing and submitting a form.

Select the situation that applies to you:

Buying or selling a property

Complete the water bill account change form if you’re moving to a new or resale home, or closing a water bill account.

Information must be provided at least 15 days before your move-in date.

Changing account holder information

Complete the account holder change request form to add, remove, or change the name on an existing water billing account.

Forms for renters

Renting and moving in

Before you open a tenant account, have the name and email address of the tenant or landlord available.

Complete the open a tenant account form.

Renting and moving out

If you're a tenant moving out of a property, complete the closing account form.

We do not backdate move-outs. If the date occurs in the past, the date we receive the form will be used as the move-out date.

Forms for commercial landlords

Tenants moving in

Use the commercial tenant billing information form to set up billing and payment information for new tenants moving into a commercial property.

Complete the commercial tenant billing information form.

Tenants moving out

Use the close a tenant account form if your tenants are moving out of a commercial property.

Who to contact

For more details about moving into Peel, email Billing Account Management.

If you’re a landlord or tenant with a question or concern, email Water Billing.

If you would like more information, call 905-791-8711.

More information

It can take 7-10 business days to process changes to a water billing account. Once the form is processed, you will receive a confirmation message at the email address provided.

If buying a resale home we recommend that you buy a Utility Arrears Certificate. This will protect you from having to pay any water billing charges that you are not responsible for.