Peel Region homepage
Peel Region

Applying for TransHelp

Watch this video to learn more about TransHelp eligibility:

Other information

To qualify for TransHelp, you must:  

  1. Live in Peel (Brampton, Caledon or Mississauga).
  2. Live with a permanent or temporary disability that’s defined by the Ontario Human Rights Code.
    This includes — but isn’t limited to — a visual, physical, sensory, cognitive or mental health disability that a healthcare professional has confirmed.
  3. Have a disability that sometimes or always stops you from using conventional public transit such as Brampton Transit or MiWay.

Deciding who can use TransHelp

Having a disability doesn’t automatically qualify you for TransHelp.

We decide who’s eligible for TransHelp on a case-by-case basis. This means we’ll look at your disability plus other factors to see if you qualify.  

We do not base eligibility on:

  • Your age.
  • How much money you earn.
  • How familiar you are with conventional transit.
  • The availability of public transit where you live.

Is conventional public transit an option for you?

Before you apply for TransHelp, consider if conventional public transit is an option for you.

Brampton Transit and MiWay vehicles have many features that make travelling easier for residents with physical, cognitive, visual, sensory and mental health disabilities.

These features include:

  • Low-floor kneeling buses with ramps and 2 reserved wheelchair/scooter areas.
  • Voice and visual announcements for all stops.
  • Shelters at accessible stops with large entrance openings and platform areas. These large openings and areas provide enough room for moving wheelchairs and scooters around.

Learn more about MiWay Accessible Services and Brampton Transit Accessible Service.

We place all TransHelp passengers in a ‘Temporary’, ‘Conditional’ or ‘Unconditional’ eligibility category.

Temporary eligibility

Temporary eligibility means that:

  • A short-term disability is expected to change or improve over time. e.g. an operation, treatment or therapy.
  • You may qualify for TransHelp if the disability prevents you from using conventional public transit.

Conditional eligibility

Conditional eligibility means that a disability or a barrier is stopping you from using conventional public transit only sometimes or during certain conditions.

For example, a person living with a physical disability might not be able to access a local bus stop during the winter months.

Unconditional eligibility

Unconditional eligibility means that:

  • A permanent disability is not expected to change or improve with time.
  • You may qualify for TransHelp if your permanent disability is stopping you from using conventional public transit.

Support persons

Regardless of your eligibility category, you may require a support person.

TransHelp provides door-to-door service.

This means that upon pick up, your driver will help you from the first accessible door to the vehicle. Upon drop off, your driver will help you from the vehicle through the first accessible door. 

A support person is someone who needs to assist you during your travel.

You’ll need a support person to travel with you if you cannot:

  • Travel alone.
  • Recognize your destination on your own.
  • Unlock the door at your destination.

You might be able to travel without a support person if you’re in a day program or a work placement at TransHelp approved locations.

When applying, you must demonstrate the need for a support person during travel.  

If you are eligible to travel alone, you can request to remove the Mandatory Support Person designation on your file.

In some cases, having a support person will allow you to use conventional public transit. If this is the case, you may become ineligible for TransHelp.

You must apply to see if you qualify for for TransHelp.

You can complete and submit the application form online or print the form off and mail, fax, email or drop it off in person.

Application guidelines

Complete all sections of the application form in detail or we will not be able to process your submission. You might be considered ineligible if you don’t provide enough detail about your disability and the barriers that prevent you from travelling on conventional public transit.

A healthcare professional must complete the Health Care Information section of the application form.

This person could be a:

  • Regulated Master of Social Work
  • Audiologist
  • Chiropractor
  • Nurse Practitioner
  • Occupational Therapist
  • Optometrist
  • Physician
  • Physiotherapist
  • Psychiatrist
  • Psychologist
  • Speech Language Pathologist

If you live in a long-term care facility, a registered nurse may complete the Heath Care Information section of the application.

The healthcare professional section must be completed within 90 days of your application submission.

Applying for TransHelp online

Apply for TransHelp

If you have questions when completing the online application, call 905-791-1015 and press '2'.

We will decide if you’re eligible for TransHelp within 14 days of receiving your completed application, including the medical portion. We will mail you a letter telling you if you qualify.

Other ways to apply for TransHelp

You can download and print the TransHelp Service Eligibility Application Form (PDF). Once you’ve completed the form you can mail, fax, email or drop it off in person.

Mail: c/o TransHelp Applications, 2 Copper Road, Brampton, ON, L6T 4W5

Fax: 905-277-5864

Scan and email:

Drop off at a Service Peel location:

To request a printed copy of the application by mail call 905-791-1015. 

This renewal form is available for current conditional TransHelp passengers who wish to renew their application.

You must complete the full application form if you:

  • are not a current TransHelp passenger
  • are a temporary passenger
We might ask you to attend an in-person or virtual assessment to help us decide your eligibility. 

Assessments help us better understand the barriers that are stopping you from taking conventional public transit.

If we need an in-person or virtual assessment, we’ll call you.

Assessments can take up to one hour. When you come in for an in-person assessment, please bring the following with you:

  • Identification
  • Mobility devices you currently use
  • Comfortable footwear
  • Weather-appropriate clothing

Instructions are in English. If you’ll need someone to translate for you, bring someone with you who can speak on your behalf.

All assessments are completed by a licensed healthcare professional.

If your TransHelp application is denied, you can appeal the eligibility decision.

TransHelp account

Update contact information, monitor account balance and transactions and cancel trips online.