Peel Region homepage
Peel Region

How to sort your waste


Fluorescent light bulb, tubes or ballasts

This item is household hazardous waste (HHW).

Take this item to a Peel Community Recycling Centre (CRC) HHW Depot for safe disposal.

This item may contain mercury, a toxic heavy metal that can impact the health of the environment.

  • Exposure to mercury can also cause serious health problems. For safety reasons, do not attempt to remove mercury yourself.
  • By bringing this item to a CRC, you can help reduce the amount of mercury in the environment.
Additional information:
  • Never pour HHW down the drain or put it at the curb for collection.
  • HHW can be harmful to people, animals, and the environment if it isn’t disposed of properly.
  • Peel CRCs accept HHW items free of charge from residents of Peel.
  • CRCs accept a maximum of 80 L of HHW per day.
  • CRCs accept a maximum of 40 fluorescent bulbs and ballasts per day.
  • Businesses with hazardous waste must apply then follow a registration and reporting process to dispose of hazardous waste at a Peel CRC. For details access apply for disposal of business hazardous waste.

See the complete list of items for: