How to sort your waste
The fall battery collection period is from October 17 to 28. Check your collection calendar for your battery pickup day. Get details
This item is household hazardous waste (HHW).
Battery collection period (for curbside only)
Batteries are collected at the curb twice a year in the spring and fall. Check your calendar for your battery pickup day. Sign up to get free weekly waste collection reminders.
Guidelines for battery collection:
- All single-use and rechargeable batteries that weigh less than 5 kg (11 lbs).
- Car batteries and sealed lead acid batteries are not accepted. Take them to a CRC for free disposal.
Preparing for battery collection:
- Tape the ends of all rechargeable and 9V batteries before disposal.
- On your battery pickup day, put single-use and rechargeable batteries in a clear resealable bag.
- Place the bag on top of your closed green bin.
- If you don’t have a green bin, place your bag of batteries beside your recycling bags.
- You can also put the rechargeable batteries individually into bags and those into the bag of batteries to be placed at the curb.
For apartment and condominiums:
- Check with your building’s property management for proper disposal options. Your property manager can contact the Region of Peel to arrange a battery collection service.
Community Recycling Centres (CRCs)
- Take single-use and rechargeable batteries to a CRC for free disposal.
- Businesses must sign up for the Business Hazardous Waste Program before dropping off batteries at a Peel CRC at a pre-scheduled time.