Construction update – Silverthorn pumping station
The Region of Peel is expanding the drinking water pumping station located at 881 Bloor Street.
This construction is needed to improve existing water services now and into the future. Tap water comes from a treatment plant at Lake Ontario, and is delivered through a distribution system, including facilities like the Silverthorn Pumping Station and Reservoir, to your home.
Please see the attached sketch for the Phase areas.
Spring 2019 to Summer 2022
This outdoor work includes:
- Expanding the existing building to install new pumps and electrical systems
- Adding transformers (to be wrapped in decals) and a hydro pole on Bloor Street
- Adding a gate valve in existing reservoir tank
- Replacing and refurbishing the existing pumps
- Landscaping and site restoration
Reservoir expansion construction is expected to begin in 2027.
This work includes:
- Refurbishing and expanding the existing underground reservoir
- Adding a new, large stormwater and overflow detention pond. A detention pond is a security measure to prevent neighbourhood flooding
Construction will normally take place between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m., Monday to Friday. If crews work outside of these hours, the public will be notified.
- Generators may be used at various points to maintain facility operations. All power generation will meet the strictest noise and emissions measures
- The large transformers will be wrapped with art and landscaped to reduce their appearance. This work is expected to be done in the Spring of 2022.
Outdoor electrical equipment wrapping
Interrupting your water supply
We do not anticipate interrupting your water supply during construction. However, if it is necessary, it is our goal to let you know 48 hours (two days) in advance and minimize any disruption.
We will continue to give further updates as Phase 1 and Phase 2 construction progresses.
Who to contact
If you require assistance or have questions during the project, please contact our Project Manager, Teodor Kochmar, at 905-867-6447.