Construction update – Silverthorn pumping station
The Region of Peel is expanding the drinking water pumping station located at 881 Bloor Street.
This construction is needed to improve existing water services now and into the future. Tap water comes from a treatment plant at Lake Ontario, and is delivered through a distribution system, including facilities like the Silverthorn Pumping Station and Reservoir, to your home.
Please see the attached sketch for the Phase areas.
Spring 2019 to Summer 2022
This work was initially expected to be completed by the summer of 2021. It was delayed due to unforeseen site conditions, the watermain break in August 2019, and COVID-19.
This outdoor work includes:
- Expanding the existing building to install new pumps and electrical systems
- Adding transformers and a hydro pole on Bloor Street
- Adding a gate in existing reservoir tank
- Replacing and refurbishing the existing pumps
- Landscaping and site restoration
Spring 2023 to Summer 2024
It is anticipated the reservoir expansion construction will start immediately after the pumping station expansion work is complete.
This indoor work includes:
- Refurbishing and expanding the existing underground reservoir
- Adding a new, large stormwater and overflow detention pond. A detention pond is a security measure to prevent neighbourhood flooding
- Upgrading a section of the storm sewer on Bloor Street
Construction will normally take place between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m., Monday to Friday. If we must work outside of these hours, we will let you know.
- Noise and disturbances will be reduced once the outdoor work is completed and we are working inside the pumping station.
- We may need to run generators at various points in the project to maintain facility operations. All power generation will meet the strictest noise and emissions measures
- The large transformers will be wrapped with art and landscaped to reduce their appearance
- The existing baseball diamond will not be affected; however, the soccer field will be impacted
Interrupting your water supply
We do not anticipate interrupting your water supply during construction. However, if it is necessary, it is our goal to let you know 48 hours (two days) in advance and minimize any disruption.
Who to contact
If you require assistance or have questions during the project, please contact our Project Manager, Teodor Kochmar, at 905-867-6447.