How we work
Supporting Peel Region’s plan to increase affordable housing and prevent chronic homelessness.
The Housing Development Office’s mission is to build affordable and emergency housing and to encourage private and non-profit developers to contribute to this goal.
We develop a variety of affordable housing projects as part of the Housing Master Plan on land owned by the Region of Peel and Peel Housing Corporation. These projects also meet the community needs identified in Peel's Housing and Homelessness Plan.
We oversee the entire housing development process including:
- Work collaboratively with partners to acquire building sites
- Implement pre-development processes
- Select and work with development contractors
- Oversee construction
- Open applications and transfer operations for new builds.
We also support private and non-profit developers to build rental housing in Peel, through the Affordable Housing Incentives Pilot Program.
Our project process
- Planning – Design development, building permit application, approvals, and overall budget and scheduling.
- Construction – The construction tender procurement award and all construction activities by the contractor through to completion.
- Applications open – Resident communications, advertising, tenant appointments, and lease agreement signing.
- Complete – Construction has concluded in the building and all units have been filled.
In 2018, the Peel's Housing and Homelessness Plan (PHHP) was developed as a 10-year plan to make affordable housing available and prevent homelessness for all Peel residents. The Housing Master Plan was created as a key action of PHHP, endorsed by Regional Council on July 11, 2019.
The Housing Development Office implements Peel’s Housing Master Plan to create more than 5,650 affordable rental units and shelter beds on Regional and Peel Housing Corporation sites by 2034.
The Affordable Housing Incentives Pilot Program is directly linked to Strategy 3 of the PHHP, provide incentives to build affordable housing. Regional Council approved the program on July 9, 2020. Through this program, we’ll award funding to successful applicants to build middle-income rental housing in Peel.
The Housing Development Office also supports other affordable housing projects including third-party developments.
Our projects contribute to Regional Council’s vision for a Community for Life. We take pride in building not just affordable housing, but using leading-edge building practices and materials. We also ensure the housing we build is close to transit and services. Peel Region views its affordable housing buildings as creating sustainable, complete communities that embrace the following principles:
- We take pride in building not just affordable housing, but sustainable and inclusive communities, and creating homes that give residents stability, peace of mind, and safety.
- Mixed-income buildings: At least 40% of the units are offered at rental rates below 60% of the average market rent. This creates a mixed-income and financially viable project.
- We design new housing with our residents in mind, including accessibility needs, and the needs of vulnerable populations, seniors, families and individuals.
- We design new housing to be resilient, energy efficient and to reduce greenhouse gases; this supports the Peel Region's Climate Change Master Plan.
- Easy access to services is as important as having a suitable place to live. This means creating affordable housing in well-developed neighbourhoods that provide proximity to schools, green space, transit, and other amenities.
- Peel Region’s affordable housing buildings have indoor and outdoor amenities and communities spaces to foster well-being, connectedness, and enhanced quality of life for residents.
- We collaborate with private and non-profit organizations, the development community, our local municipalities, and our partners at the Province of Ontario and the Government of Canada to foster successful working relationships.