Water billing for landlords and tenants
In Peel, tenants can receive water, wastewater, and stormwater bills in their own name.
Please note the following:
- A tenant must have their landlord's permission to use a separate account.
- Property owners (or their Authorized Parties) must complete a form to establish a premise as Tenanted.
- Peel Region will apply a Change of Occupancy Fee each time a new account is requested. This fee will also apply once the property reverts back to the landlord’s name.
- Peel Region will generate and send a bill to the landlord before the tenant moves in.
- A tenant (or tenants) will have a separate account from the landlord. The tenant (or tenants) will use this separate account for as long as they live on the landlord’s premises.
- Property owners are ultimately responsible for overdue amounts at their properties, in accordance with the Municipal Act,2001, S.O.2001,c.25
Before you begin to complete the form, have the name and email address of your tenant or landlord available.
- If you initiate the form as a landlord, review your information on the form. When you click on finish, the form will be sent to the tenant's email to continue the application. After the form is reviewed and signed by the tenant(s), you will receive the form for a final review and then provide your signature for completion of the document.
- If you initiated the form as a tenant, review and sign the form. When you click on finish, the form will be sent to the landlord's email for completion of the document.
- All parties will receive a copy of the completed form.
If you are a residential landlord with new tenants or if you are a residential tenant moving in, complete the Residential tenant billing form.
If you are a commercial landlord with new tenants or a commercial tenant moving in, complete the Commercial tenant billing form.
- For commercial accounts, make sure the meter serial number is included on the form.
- Submit the form at least 7 days before the tenant move-in date. We do not backdate move-ins, therefore, the date we receive the form will be used as the move-in date if the date occurs in the past.
Once the completed form has been processed, the tenant will receive a confirmation e-mail with their account detail.
If your tenants are moving out or if you're a tenant moving out of a property, complete the closing account form.