Water billing for landlords and tenants
In Peel, tenants can receive water, wastewater, and stormwater bills in their own name.
Please note the following:
- A tenant must have their landlord’s permission to use a separate account.
- Property owners (or their Authorized Parties) must complete a form to establish a premise as Tenanted.
- Peel Region will apply a Change of Occupancy Fee each time a new account is requested. This fee will also apply once the property reverts back to the landlord’s name.
- Peel Region will generate and send a bill to the landlord before the tenant moves in.
- A tenant (or tenants) will have a separate account from the landlord. The tenant (or tenants) will use this separate account for as long as they live on the landlord’s premises.
- Property owners are ultimately responsible for overdue amounts at their properties, in accordance with the Municipal Act,2001, S.O.2001,c.25
Instructions for landlords that are switching tenants
If you are a Residential landlord with new tenants moving in, complete the Tenant Billing Information – Residential form.
If you are a Commercial landlord with new tenants moving in, complete the Tenant Billing Information - Commercial form.
- Double-check that all of the fields in the form have been filled out and that the form has been signed by the landlord and tenant.
- For commercial accounts, check that the meter serial number is included on the form.
- We cannot process incomplete forms. If a form is incomplete, changes will not be made to the account.
- Submit the form at least 7 days before the tenant move-in date. We do not backdate move-ins.
Send the completed form to the Region by one of the following methods:
- E-mail: email@example.com
- Fax: 905-791-5112
- Mail: P.O. Box 2099 Station B, Brampton, ON L6T 3X2
If your tenants are moving out, complete the closing account form.
Instructions for tenants
If you’re a tenant moving into a property, ask your landlord to complete and submit the applicable form.
Once your account is set up, a Change of Occupancy Fee will be applied to your first bill.
If you’re a tenant moving out of a property, please complete the closing account form. Refer to the previous section for ways to submit.