School bus safety
Most school bus injuries happen as kids are boarding or leaving the bus or crossing the street.
The Region of Peel, along with Peel Regional Police and Ontario Provincial Police, is committed to keeping our children and community safe. Please practice safe driving.
- Always stop for a school bus when the upper red lights are flashing.
- Drivers must come to a complete stop in both directions when there is no median on the road.
- A flashing stop arm will swing out while passengers are boarding or leaving the bus.
- When approaching the front of the bus from the opposite direction, stop at a safe distance.
- Stop at least 20 metres away when you are behind the bus.
- Don't start moving until the red lights have stopped flashing, the STOP arm folds away and the bus begins to move.
People who don't follow the provincial bus safety laws will be fined. First offence penalties can be up to $2000 and six demerit points.