Choosing logistics technician as a career
Logistics technicians play an important role in every 911 call.
Logistics technicians ensure paramedics have everything they need in an emergency.
Ambulances and other emergency response vehicles:
- Clean and sanitize vehicles. Remove garbage and medical waste.
- Replace items such as linen, oxygen tanks, equipment, and supplies.
- Inspect vehicles. Complete minor repairs such as replacing headlights.
- Oversee preventative maintenance. Remove vehicles from service according to schedule.
- Clean, maintain, repair, and test equipment.
- Identify and replace equipment scheduled for preventative maintenance.
- Exchange defective equipment.
- Clean and assemble items including bags and contaminated uniforms.
- Produce and audit supply kits.
- Audit inventory.
- Perform outbound shipment preparation, inbound shipment inspection, receipt, and storage.
- Record items being signed in and out by paramedics such as keys, cell phones, portable radios, and batteries.
- Maintain database records to track inventory, equipment, and vehicles.
Working hours and locations
- 12-hour shifts, days, and nights.
- Work at the reporting stations.
- Work with 1 or 2 other LTs per shift.
You must have the following qualifications to become a logistics technician at Peel Regional Paramedic Services:
- High school diploma.
- At least 2 years experience working in a warehouse and material handling environment.
- Ability to lift 50 lbs.
- Ability to work shifts in a fast-paced environment under minimal supervision.
- General mechanical aptitude and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent attention to detail.
The following qualifications are not required but are helpful
- Reach truck certification.
- Hands-on experience in a production or assembly environment.
- Training for industry-specific equipment maintenance and repair, such as conveyance equipment and oxygen equipment testing.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Outlook.
- Knowledge of emergency medical services products.
You should also have the following:
- Customer service skills.
- Great attention to detail.
- Ability to work independently.